Many people who grow up in Wyoming don’t get the chance to experience the spectacular climbing in their own backyard. Our goal is to change that and give more local youth the chance to explore the vertical wonders of Wyoming.
Every summer we offer educational climbing camps for youth ages 10-18 across Wyoming. Students will learn the fundamentals of climbing safety, movement and technique as they climb in the limestone canyons of the Bighorn Mountains, the granite gorges of central Wyoming, and the Sherman granite monoliths of Vedauwoo.
Dates and Locations
- TBD June 2020: Bighorn Basin Youth Climbing Camp – Session 1
- TBD June 2020: Casper Youth Climbing Camp – Session 1
- TBD June 2020: Vedauwoo Youth Climbing Camp – Session 1
- TBD July 2020: Bighorn Basin Youth Climbing Camp – Session 2
- TBD July 2020: Casper Youth Climbing Camp – Session 2
- TBD July 2020: Vedauwoo Youth Climbing Camp – Session 2
What’s included in the price?
Youth camp prices include all lessons and instructional materials, gear, and transportation to the climbing area.
Our youth camp curriculum includes hands-on, experiential learning about the following topics and techniques:
- Climbing safety, belay, and anchor systems
- Top-rope and/or lead climbing techniques
- Leave No Trace and “Beyond Leave No Trace” practices
- Lessons on each climbing area’s geology, ecology, archaeology, and history
- Climbing games and fun outdoor learning activities
Learning outcomes: For each day of camp, our goal is for every participant to try at least three new climbs, two new climbing movements, learn two new technical skills (e.g. knots and belaying), and participate in one place-based educational lesson.
No need to buy expensive climbing gear for our youth camps – we’ve got you covered. The price of the camp includes free gear rentals of all the essential climbing equipment students will need:
- Climbing shoes
- Belay device and locking carabiner
We provide transportation to nearby towns in WY and northern CO, but we also offer a 10% discount to parents who transport their kids to our camp locations.
All of our youth camps are day camps – we do not provide any overnight accommodations for youth. Camp sessions usually run between five to six hours, depending on the climbing area.
Apply for a scholarship
We offer a limited number of scholarships to youth who need outside support to attend our youth climbing camps. Full and partial scholarships are awarded based on financial need. Recipients are selected based on the quality of their responses to essay questions on the scholarship application. Please contact us via email to request an application:
Donate a scholarship
Give the gift of the great outdoors to deserving youth in our community! Your donation will help cover the cost of offering scholarships to our youth climbing camps. These camps are a great opportunity for kids to explore the outdoors, learn new skills, grow in self-confidence, work together as a team, and most importantly have a lot of fun! Please contact us via email if you’re interested in donating a full or partial scholarship.