Our Intro to Rock Climbing course is perfect if you’re looking for an accessible way to learn the fundamentals of rock climbing and explore the vertical wonders of Wyoming. Our guides teach the foundations of rock climbing safety and sustainability in a welcoming and supportive manner. We believe that rock climbing is a unique, challenging, and rewarding activity that should be inclusive of people from all walks of life. Accordingly our intro courses are available to people of all backgrounds and ability levels.
We are permitted to teach our rock climbing courses in several world class rock climbing destinations across Wyoming:
Learn more about these and other rock climbing destinations that we guide in Wyoming.
Our Intro to Rock Climbing Courses are available upon request in most locations April – October.
Our Intro to Rock Climbing courses include personalized instruction on the following topics and techniques:
- Gearing up for rock climbing
- Objective hazards and risk management
- Foundations of top-rope climbing safety systems, including knots, belaying, cleaning, and/or rappelling
- Fundamental rock climbing movement and techniques
- Leave No Trace and “Beyond Leave No Trace” practices
- Lessons on each area’s geology, ecology, archaeology, and history
These hands-on lessons are accompanied by top-rope climbing on routes of your choice.
Sample Intro to Rock Climbing course itinerary for Ten Sleep Canyon:
- 8am – Meet at Dirty Sally’s General Store for gear check and safety orientation
- Drive to trailhead
- Review goals and hazards
- Hike to crag and gear up
- Learn tie-in knots
- Learn safety checks
- Learn the fundamentals of top-rope and lead belaying
- Footwork and body movement lesson
- Rappelling lesson
- Environment and history of Ten Sleep Canyon
- 4pm – Debrief
|Size of Party||1||2||3||4||5||6|
Ask us about our large group or multi-day discounts!
Interested in taking an Intro to Rock Climbing course? Please send us an email with your name, contact info, and a brief description of when and where you’d like to take the course. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have about the course!