Learn the Fundamentals of Rock Climbing in Wyoming!
Our Intro to Rock Climbing Courses are perfect if you’re looking for an accessible way to learn the fundamentals of rock climbing and explore the vertical wonders of Wyoming. Our guides teach the foundations of rock climbing safety and sustainability in a welcoming and supportive manner. We believe that rock climbing is a unique, challenging, and rewarding activity that should be inclusive of people from all walks of life. So our intro courses are available to people of all backgrounds and ability levels!
Intro to Rock Climbing Courses available in Wyoming:
We offer Intro to Rock Climbing Courses in the following world class climbing areas in Wyoming:
Our Intro to Rock Climbing Courses are available upon request in most locations May – October.
Our Intro to Rock Climbing courses include personalized instruction on the following topics and techniques:
- Gearing up for rock climbing
- Objective hazards and risk management
- Foundations of top-rope climbing safety systems, including knots, belaying, cleaning, and/or rappelling
- Fundamental rock climbing movement and techniques
- Leave No Trace and “Beyond Leave No Trace” practices
- Lessons on each area’s geology, ecology, archaeology, and history
These hands-on lessons are accompanied by top-rope climbing on routes of your choice.
Course options and itineraries:
- 1 Day Itinerary
Our 1 day Intro to Rock Climbing Course is a great option if you only have a single day to climb but you want to make the most of it! Your guide will work with you to select an exciting venue that is appropriate for your group size, suits your goals, and features fun, high quality climbing in a beautiful setting. This one day course will typically last 7-8 hours but can be customized to fit your schedule. The following is a sample one day itinerary:
- 8am – Meet at designated area for gear check and safety orientation.
- 8:15am – Drive to climbing area
- 9am – Arrive at climbing area and start hiking to the crag
- 9:30am – Learn tie-in knots as guide sets up top ropes
- 9:45am – Learn safety checks and communication for rock climbing
- 10-11am – Top rope climbing accompanied by footwork and body movement lessons
- 11am-12pm – Top rope climbing accompanied by fundamental top-rope belaying lesson
- 12-12:30pm – Lunch break
- 12:30-2pm – Rappelling lesson
- 2pm – Hike out and debrief
- 2:30pm – Start driving back
- 3pm – Arrive back in town
Alternatively, we can start this one day course at 12pm and end at 7pm.
- 2 Day Itinerary
Our 2 day Intro to Rock Climbing Course is a great option if you want to push yourself to new heights! The first day of the course is focused on learning foundational skills (see the sample itinerary above) and the second day is focused on applying those skills and climbing a more challenging objective. Your guide will work with you to select appropriate venues for this course. Both days of the course will typically last 7-8 hours but can be customized to fit your schedule.
|Size of Party||1||2||3||4||5||6|
Ask us about our larger group discounts!
Please reach out to us via email (contact form below) to confirm guide availability for your preferred dates. Once guide availability is confirmed we will send you a detailed email with the signup form, liability release agreement, and invoice. Note that we require a 25% deposit to finalize your booking. This deposit is non-refundable in case of cancellation within two weeks of the booking but is transferable to other dates and courses.
Interested in taking an Intro to Rock Climbing course? Please send us an email with your name, contact info, and a brief description of when and where you’d like to take the course. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have about the course!