Learn Multipitch Sport Climbing in Cody, Wyoming!
This upper level course introduces participants to the skills, systems, and principles of decision making needed for multipitch sport climbing in Cody, Wyoming. This intensive two or three-day course involves a collaborative planning process, research and preparation for multiple climbs, plenty of systems work, and lots of climbing on classic multipitch sport climbing routes in Cody, Wyoming. We recommend taking our Intro to Rock Climbing Course prior to enrolling in this advanced course, as the course requires foundational knowledge of climbing safety systems and solid base of climbing fitness.
Our Multipitch Sport Climbing Course in Cody is available upon request May – October and also during select times in the winter (weather conditions dependent of course).
- The Mouth of the Clark’s Fork of the Yellowstone River – The Mouth of the Clark’s Fork, located 45 minutes from Cody, has quickly become the premier multipitch sport climbing venue in Wyoming. The limestone slabs and pinnacles of the Mouth feature some of the longest bolted sport climbs in the country, including M11, Forever, and Colter’s Rib. The climbing at the Mouth is mostly moderate in nature with great holds and well-featured limestone slabs stretching on for thousands of feet. The positioning is incredible, with outstanding views of the high plains of the northern Bighorn Basin, and the place has a very wild, almost alpine feel to it. The Mouth does get morning sun so it is best to climb in the afternoon or in the beginning and end of season when temperatures are more mild.
Our Multipitch Sport Climbing Course in Cody includes personalized instruction on the following topics and techniques:
- Proper preparation for climbing multipitch terrain
- Decision making and risk mitigation
- Rock climbing safety systems (focus on anchors, belaying, descent, and self-rescue systems)
- Climbing movement and techniques
- Minimal-impact climbing strategies to safeguard resources and heritage
- Leave No Trace and “Beyond Leave No Trace” practices
- Lessons on the area’s geology, ecology, archaeology, and history
These hands-on lessons are accompanied by multipitch sport climbing on routes of your choice. Please see our Multipitch Climbing Course Guide for a more detailed overview of these topics.
Course options and itineraries:
- 2 Day Itinerary
Our 2 day Multipitch Sport Climbing Course is a great option if you only have two days to work on your multipitch climbing skills but you want to make the most of it! Your guide will work with you to select an exciting venue in Cody that is appropriate for your group size, suits your learning goals, and features fun, high quality climbing in a beautiful setting. Each day of the course will typically last 8 hours but can be customized to fit your schedule. The first day of the course is focused on learning skills on smaller terrain and the second day is focused on applying those skills and climbing a larger objective.
- 3 Day Itinerary
Our 3 Day Multipitch Sport Climbing Course is a great option if you want to challenge yourself and take your multipitch sport climbing to new heights! The first day of the course is focused on learning skills on smaller terrain, the second day is focused on applying those skills and climbing a longer objective, and then the third day provides an opportunity for clients to plan their own multipitch climb and receive feedback from the guide. Your guide will work with you to select appropriate venues for this course. Each day of the course will typically last 8 hours but can be customized to fit your schedule.
|Size of Party||1||2|
Please reach out to us via email (contact form below) to confirm guide availability for your preferred dates. Once guide availability is confirmed we will send you a detailed email with the signup form, liability release agreement, and invoice. Note that we require a 25% deposit to finalize your booking. This deposit is non-refundable in case of cancellation within two weeks of the booking but is transferable to other dates and courses.
Interested in taking a Multipitch Sport Climbing Course in Cody, Wyoming? Please send us an email with your name, contact info, and a brief description of when and where you’d like to take the course. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have about the course!