Intro to Mountaineering Course: Cloud Peak from the East
Yearning for the freedom of the hills? Look no further than this trek through the South Piney Creek Valley and up the imposing flanks of the Bighorns’ highest peak. You’ll learn the fundamentals of ultralight backcountry travel, how to minimize your footprint in a pristine alpine environment, and develop your technical mountaineering skills as you explore the natural wonders of Cloud Peak Wilderness.
No previous mountaineering experience is required for this 3-4 day course, but a solid base of hiking fitness, camping experience, and a willingness to wander far away from civilization are all musts.
Our intro to mountaineering course includes lessons on the following topics and techniques:
- Leave No Trace and “Beyond Leave No Trace” practices
- Personal wellness, health, hygiene, and waste disposal in the outdoors
- Minimal impact backpacking, camping, and climbing practices
- Principles of mountaineering safety and risk management strategies
- Roped climbing systems for non-glaciated mountaineering
- Mountaineering axe and crampon use
- Anchor building, gear placement and removal
- Lessons on the area’s geology, ecology, archaeology, and mountaineering history
|Size of Party||1||2||3||4|
Interested in taking an intro to mountaineering course? Feel free to ask us any questions you might have about the course!